First Hospital In India to have 'Certified Mckenzie Clinic'
Having this accreditation from New Zealand, Bharatiya Arogya Nidhi Hospital is now part of a global network in 28 countries in the treatment of back, neck, and joint pain. Bharatiya Arogya Nidhi Hospital takes immense pleasure in being 1 of 3 hospitals to have the McKenzie Clinics in Mumbai.
Dr. Asha Menon (PT), Dip. MDT, the pioneer who brought the McKenzie system – also known as Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy (MDT) – to India, is also a teaching faculty for the same. Dr. Asha is the chief clinical principle of the ‘Certified McKenzie Clinic’. She has obtained her Diploma in MDT from Otago University, New Zealand, and is clinically trained from NHS, UK.
Mechanical Diagnosis and Therapy (MDT)
It is a well-researched low technology assessment system leading to a diagnostic classification, and management. Although this concept was put forth in the 1950s by New Zealand physiotherapist Robin McKenzie, it is now the most widely researched conservative management therapy in mechanical spinal disorders. The first research in the McKenzie concept was done by Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. R. Donelson. This system is used worldwide since the last 40 years for the treatment of symptoms from spinal and extremity origin.
Who can be treated using this method ?
Any patient needing orthopaedic physiotherapy can be treated using this unique system.
Unique Features of this treatment:
- No prolonged bed rest needed. Exercise when there is pain
- Highly skilled therapists train patient in a ratio of 1:1 (1 therapist: 1 patient) – evaluation for 45 minutes
- Learn to switch off your pain yourself and prevent it too
- Understand why you worsen, and how to stop it
- 1 exercise, 1 minute is all you need to do
- Learn to spend a few seconds for your posture
- Our data at the hospital: majority needed 3-4 sessions to be pain-free and back to functions. 2% of patients had to be referred for surgery. Less than1% required, along with exercise, support from counselling sessions of our in-house psychiatry department.
Can I come for McKenzie Method of treatment, even though I am not referred for it ?
Yes. Most symptoms of spinal or extremity origin to the joints need conservative management in the form of exercises. The McKenzie clinicians are trained to assess if your problem is musculoskeletal (MSK) and if so, develop a management plan. All the physiotherapists in our team are certified in the McKenzie Method. Bharatiya Arogya Nidhi hospital is one of only 3 ‘Certified McKenzie Clinic’ in Mumbai. If it is determined your problem is “not MSK”, we will refer you to the appropriate care provider. We strive to work in partnership with other medical professionals.
McKenzie concept is all about
- Recovery of your functions and
- Prevention of recurrences